You are using an unsupported browser. Please update your browser to the latest version on or before July 31, 2020.
Home > Financial Aid > Does Cornell have emergency funds?
Does Cornell have emergency funds?
print icon

If you find that you have expenses due to an unforeseen emergency, there may be campus resources that can assist you depending on your relationship with the university, individual need, and availability of funds.  Below is a list of resources that may be available to you and a brief description of the resources that are available.


Undergraduate Students
The Students Helping Students fund is the most prominent fund for undergraduate student emergencies. Visit the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment in 203 Day Hall or email [email protected] if you have questions about the application process or to submit an application. This office also has access to other funding available to undergraduate students should you not qualify for Students Helping Students.


Graduate Students
The Graduate School will make emergency funds available to students based on individual need and availability of funds.

You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible:

  • Be a registered graduate student in the Graduate School,
  • Have no bursar holds on your account,
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States,
  • and be requesting assistance for a non-medical emergency.


The maximum grant amount from the Graduate School fund is $1,000. Each request for funding requires a new application and signatures. If you believe you are eligible for assistance, please contact Jan Allen, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs ([email protected]) or Janna Lamey, Assistant Dean for Student Life ([email protected]) for assistance.  After review by the Dean, or Dean’s designee, an appointment may be scheduled for you to discuss your financial needs.


International graduate students should inquire about funding with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).


All students seeking assistance with medical bills should contact Jo Ann Molnar-Kieffer ([email protected]) at the Cornell Office of Student Health Benefits. Special financial support may be available for qualifying medical costs.


Professional School Students
Each professional school has a different process for emergency funds.


Cornell Law School students should contact Bryan Vliet ([email protected]) or contact the Law School by phone at (607) 255-5141.


Veterinary Medicine students have emergency financial support available when they are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship. The fund, in the form of a non-interest bearing loan, is designated to off-set a short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid. If you need assistance please visit the Office of Student and Academic Services or email [email protected].


Johnson School of Management students should contact Amanda Soule Shaw ([email protected]) or contact the Johnson School Student Services office by phone at (607) 255-7541.

0 out of 2 found this helpful

Still have questions? Email [email protected].
" "
scroll to top icon